Sunday, February 26, 2012

Notepad++

Started using Notepad++ instead of plain 'ol Notepad. It's actually really useful to be using an actual IDE instead of a text editor for coding. I actually have Visual Studio as well, but I like the relative simplicity of Notepad++. I recommend it highly, at least for hobby level coding. Struggles right now are mostly around collision. I have started rolling out experimental collision types (sticking and bouncing) to all objects. For some reason the sticking acts weird with violet. There has to be something in the code I forgot to port over properly, but me in my current state (tired) isn't seeing it. I also made myself a bug database in Excel. My day job is as a QA tester, so it sort of pains me to even do it but at the same time it feels very right and natural to be recording bugs I find and tracking whether or not I've fixed them.

Also, here's an updated version of my run cycle (from about a week ago, haven't touched it since). I can adjust the timing in Torque and don't really have a proper animation program, so this is basically each frame being shown in unison with equal timing.



I want him to move with a level of uniqueness and character, so I'll be playing around with this more until it feels right. I can't do too much considering I have to be able to implement it into the game and have it look/feel natural (gameplay comes #1), but I want the character to feel as fluid as I can muster. The web series "Baman Piderman" does a great job at fluid, but I don't have any illusions of animating even nearly as well as Lindsay Small. Plus characters that floppy wouldn't work well for this game. Maybe another game someday. Possibly worth noting: Watching a livestream of her animating an episode of BP is part of what motivated me to start working on animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment